Tuesday, February 1, 2011

In Which I Create a Video Game Analogy for My Life

I work in tech retail and computer repair. I’ve always been a little bit of a geek (and I stress “little” as I have issues operating a coffee maker) but one thing I’ve never really gotten into is gaming. I’m more of a cards and dominos kinda girl. At the very most I’ll play Pocket Frogs or maybe a word scramble puzzle or the like. But recently someone has gotten me into a game called Braid, which was originally out for Xbox and is now available as a game from the OSX App Store. 

It’s a pretty classic seeming game, very similar to the Mario world (things to jump over, bop something on the head and it falls off the screen) but there’s a pretty fun catch; you can control time! You died? That’s cool, just rewind. Realized you actually needed to be on the other side of the environment? No worries, just hold down that shift button. And voila! you’re right back to before you messed up. Even the music rewinds. But some objects in the game aren’t effected by time though, so you can take things back with you when you rewind. Things like keys to open doors.


And I’m finding that I am identifying with this game very much in my life right now. I’m sitting outside a classroom at a college campus, hoping to crash a course, for the first time in 2 and a half years. I’ve been here before, I’ve done this. Not at this particular school, mind you, but it’s not much different here. A while ago I would have considered this a step back from where I was working full-time in the “real world”.  But now I feel like I’m really moving forward even though I’m kinda back in the same place I was about 3 years ago. I’ve taken things from the past with me this time, so I feel more prepared (still overwhelmed, but prepared), like I can really make this happen and it’s going to work out.


So let’s so this.

No comments:

Post a Comment